Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Fountain mist, chit-chat and Bilbo & Gandalf

  1. The fountains one sees, right after entering Magarpatta, are very different from the usual ones. They throw a very fine spray, almost a mist, and not very high... they're arranged in a semicircle and the whole sight looks so soft and ethereal...
  2. Many phone calls with a lot of people I haven't talked to for a long time... the evening is well spent..
  3. I start with The Hobbit. Its written in a charming, childish manner that makes me smile almost continuously. Something tells me I'm going to enjoy reading it immensely... An excerpt that I particularly fell in love with:


"Good morning!" said Bilbo, and he meant it. The sun was shining, and the
grass was very green. But Gandalf looked at him from under long bushy eyebrows
that stuck out further than the brim of his shady hat. "What do you mean?" he said.
"Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I
want or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is morning to be good on?"


"All of them at once," said Bilbo. "And a very fine morning for a pipe of
tobacco out of doors, into the bargain. If you have a pipe about you, sit down and
have a fill of mine! There's no hurry, we have all the day before us!" Then Bilbo
sat down on a seat by his door, crossed his legs, and blew out a beautiful grey ring
of smoke that sailed up into the air without breaking and floated away over The
Hill.


"Very pretty!" said Gandalf. "But I have no time to blow smoke-rings this
morning. I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging,
and it's very difficult to find anyone."

"I should think so - in these parts! We are plain quiet folk and have no use
for adventures. Nasty .disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!
I can’t think what anybody sees in them," said our Mr. Baggins, and stuck one
thumb behind his braces, and blew out another even bigger smoke-ring.

No comments: