Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Hey You...we moved on...

1. Resolve to have a resolution!

This time - for the first time I have a resolution!

2. Ball drop

There is a craze in NY about the Ball drop at the last minute of the year. We decide - it is too cold and crowded, to watch it Live. We did catch it on the TV though. It is a shining ball falling and touching its base at the exact last second of the year. I hear some 2000 tonns of confetti are blown up in the air - along with dazzling fire works. We watch all of that from one of our friend's apartment - mostly on television. We do catch a share of the firecrackers being lit from a cruise on the hudson river.

3. Talk, yap, wish, trouble, chatter, fight, tease...

Old friends connect and it is the same insane stuff we talk all over again...In fact the signs are that it will reach new heights of rubbishness this year! As the new year wishes flew in - contacts were renewed and we did all the silly little things (even if it was over the phone) - yet again :-)

4. Hey You

I think it is appropriate to start the New Year with a song from a band - which has had more influence on me than any teacher, book, music, friend, movie and just about anything apart from my parents.

This song was just chosen on a random basis - from a huge list of their ---don't know what to call it ---some sort of musical psychedelic art--- which changed me as a person and the way I look at things. I see them as a separate category as far as my inclination towards Arts is concerned. I think George used to sing it in the First year of Engg. It never occured to me then, they will become a like Bible for me in the years to come.

Ray is actually the person who is responsible for hours and days and years I have spent in complete awe and shock in trying to understand them.

I remember the sacrilege committed by me long back.

'I hate their music! They never seem to be in a hurry to sing. It feels like a movie to me. A background sound and some theme, without any start or end to it. I mean, where are the songs? It seems like a weird movement of music without any intention what so ever'

I will reserve more words, as they will be appearing numerous times on the Blog. And I think I will never run out of topics for this Band.

The video is a little 'brutal', and may have a turbulent effect on the heart. So, if you just want to listen to the music without getting 'hit'- I suggest you minimise the window and listen to it.

The lyrics will suggest you the kind of profundity expressed by them in their 'work' (dare I call them songs). The music just kicks the shit out of your psyche. Here it goes...

Floyd to kick start 2008 for me...

YouTube Video




Hey you, out there in the cold
Getting lonely, getting old
Can you feel me?
Hey you, standing in the aisles
With itchy feet and fading smiles
Can you feel me?
Hey you, dont help them to bury the light
Dont give in without a fight.

Hey you, out there on your own
Sitting naked by the phone
Would you touch me?
Hey you, with your ear against the wall
Waiting for someone to call out
Would you touch me?
Hey you, would you help me to carry the stone?
Open your heart, Im coming home.

But it was only fantasy.
The wall was too high,
As you can see.
No matter how he tried,
He could not break free.
And the worms ate into his brain.

Hey you, standing in the road
Always doing what youre told,
Can you help me?
Hey you, out there beyond the wall,
Breaking bottles in the hall,
Can you help me?
Hey you, dont tell me theres no hope at all
Together we stand, divided we fall.

[click of tv being turned on]
Well, only got an hour of daylight left. better get started
Isnt it unsafe to travel at night?
Itll be a lot less safe to stay here. youre fathers gunna pick up our trail before long
Can loca ride?
Yeah, I can ride... magaret, time to go! maigret, thank you for everything
Goodbye chenga
Goodbye miss ...
Ill be back

No comments: